My Crochet Beginning


Crochet, for me, has always been a labour of love. Something that can be tedious and time consuming but, when you finish, leaves you feeling accomplished and satisfied (WHEN you finish that is!). 

When I was about 10 years old I had a cousin who decided I was old enough to learn this magical craft. I don't remember the process itself or how long it took me to get the hang of it but what I DO remember is my very first crochet project.

When I was around 11 or 12 years old, I made a granny square blanket, all by myself. I reckon it would have been nearly 1m x 1m at the time and was made up of all these different scraps of yarn I had found, so was a really funky assortment of colours and I loved it. I felt really accomplished. Then, one day, I decided that it was time that I put my blanket through the washing machine. I know what you all are thinking and let me just head you off, it went through the wash fine, it didn't unravel and it came out looking fresh and as beautiful as ever. I felt even more chuffed, my blanket had withstood the first major hurdle - The Wash Test. Unfortunately it was not so lucky against it's second hurdle.

After I had it all washed I hung it on the line. Don't worry I know better now, and it if it had remained on the line I know the weight of  my wet blanket would have left a misshapen mess to sort later, but it didn't make it that far. I went outside in the afternoon, to check if my awesome blanket was dry but it was no longer hanging on the line. Instead it was near the back door, and near the sandpit, and near our rabbit hutch... You guessed it, one of our dogs had snatched my blanket, my very first solo creation, off the line and chewed it to pieces. I was so gutted that I simply gave up on crochet. 

I didn't pick up a hook again for a long time, until after I had my kids, when I started to see all the cute things I could make for them. Crochet began to call to me again, so I decided to give it another try. I had only ever been taught to make granny squares so I utilised google and YouTube for instruction and inspiration and taught myself all of the crochet terms so I could read patterns. I taught myself all the stitches and even the differences between UK and US terms. 

I began making little things at first, like scarves, beanies and the hat pictured above. I then moved on to more complex things like clothing and amigurumi and now I can make anything and everything! I still have a passion for crochet and I long ago surpassed the beginner stage, though I am by no means perfect. I hold my hook weirdly and I hold my yarn weirder still but I have created some beautiful things over the years and am very proud of how much I have accomplished and how far I have come and I love sharing my love of crochet with others!

Oh and I have definitely let go of that quitting when I don't get to finish something or when something goes wrong mindset! As most crocheters know, you will always have tons and tons of WIPs (Works in Progress for those not familiar with the term) and you quickly let go of the desire to finish all of the things in favour of starting the next big project!

Anyway, thanks for reading my very first blog post! Hopefully I can learn to post here a little more than I post on social media!

Until next time!

Mel 

Comments

Popular Posts